Ginger is one of those natural remedies that you must always keep at home. It is basically a spice containing high amounts of bioactive compounds with amazing benefits for a person’s health. People use it in many different forms to cure a number of common ailments including nausea, stomach discomfort, cramps, inflammatory conditions, infections, and muscle pain. Ginger tea is also quite flavorful and many people like to consume it on a regular basis for weight loss and other ginger health benefits.
Here are 7 facts about this medicinal herb that you must be aware of:
- Ginger health can be promoted by using ginger in just about any form; be it powder, dried form, raw or fresh, oil, or juice. It is commonly added to many recipes especially in Asian cuisine. The powder form can be sprinkled over any prepared food to gain its benefits.
- Ginger is good for the treatment of many digestive ailments including nausea and morning sickness in pregnancy. However, it is not recommended to consume large amounts in pregnancy because it might induce miscarriage.
- Ginger has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and therefore it can be used for the treatment of osteoarthritis. The symptoms can be reduced by using its oil or mixing it with other useful herbs like cinnamon and sesame.
- Ginger health can also be linked with the herb’s ability to lower blood sugar and promote overall health. Patients who have type 2 diabetes are at a risk of developing heart disease. If they are made to take ginger extract for regulating blood glucose, the risk of heart disease can be greatly reduced.
- The pain in the lower abdomen experienced by menstruating women can be cured with the help of ginger. This is one surprising fact that many women out there would not be aware of. It is recommended to consume about 1 gram of ginger powder in the beginning of the menstrual period to ease the pain.
- Ginger has been found to be effective in preventing cancer. The herb contains 6-gingerol in large amounts, which is a substance having strong anti-cancer properties. The study has been done on a patient with ovarian cancer and the results were amazing.
- Ginger health makes it possible to fight against many bacterial infections owing to the powerful functions of gingerol. It has especially been found to be effective for oral diseases including gingivitis. The herb is particularly useful for children when they suffer from upper respiratory infections during seasonal change.
There is no doubt that ginger is one of the healthiest herbs out there. It is packed with such powerful nutrients that no other natural or organic food can compete with. The good thing is, it is available in many forms, such as powder, oil and juice to suit the dietary needs of different people. However, before taking large quantities of ginger or any other herb for the matter, it is advisable to consult a nutritionist.